Monday, August 24, 2009

Random act of oddness #1

People puzzle me a lot. And I mean, A LOT. Why is it that some people are just plain nasty? And just when I've lost the will to live and think about cancelling all people related charity donations, someone does something so bloody wonderful that I'm overwhelmed by "nice feelings".

You may know about my obsesssion with superheroes. You see, I have a theory (on a good day). When I sit on the train watching all of the bored looking people, I imagine that they are in fact superheroes in disguise. They might help old ladies across the road, be kind to strangers in need or simply make someone a cuppa tea when they're feeling low. All activities worthy of a superhero.

Which led me to watching people on the street in Lambton Quay. I am not a person who is comfortable in Lambton Quay amongst the "suits". So I watch and wonder if rather than being the stuffy uptight people that I assume they are, that maybe they too are superheroes in disguise. And now it is an obsession. In fact, everywhere that I go I wonder what feats of superheroism people may be plotting or even carrying out at that very moment.

Which OF COURSE led me to get myself some business cards made. They say simply my name, "Superhero in disguise", my cellphone and my gmail address. So this morning I started my social experiment. I went to Sweet Fanny Annes, gave Claire money for a coffee, asked for this to pay for the next person who came in and only in return to give them my superhero business card. She looked at me as if I'm a mong, which apparently I'm comfortable with. I was taken aback when she immediately turned around and gave my card to a woman who was waiting inside for her coffee. I took off, as I don't want anything about "me" to moderate anything that may happen.

I don't really have a motivation for this. I have no idea what is going to happen. I'd like for something to happen. Perhaps for my faith in humanity to be bolstered? I'm planning on doing this kinda randomly, and funding maybe 100 coffees in total. Just to see what happens. So I have to sell a few more eggs (come on Manky and Chickpea!), old bags and veges I guess.

So I don't have a "moral of the story" or anything of real meaning to share with you today. Except to give you a glimpse into my (slightly odd) mind. I wonder what will happen?

No comments: